Monday, July 6, 2020

Publix Atlanta Half Marathon


This race was on my to do list, for two reasons.  The first reason is I am trying to complete a half marathon in each state.  The second reason is that the race partnered with the Olympic Marathon trials, so if I went down to Atlanta I could see the best US road racing runners race to make a spot on Team USA.  Once registration opened I signed up and I was ecstatic.  We decided to arrive on Thursday to make sure we had enough time to see the city but also be able to participate in some of the extra activities that were brought to the city because of the Olympic trials. 

The first night we decided to go to a social run with Saucony, as they were releasing their new shoes which were the Endrophin Pro and having a Q&A with some of the Saucony endorsed runners.  I was sad I wasn't able to try on the Endorphin Pro because I have wide feet.  I did hear some good reviews from others runners there and some even purchased the shoe.  I didn't know much about the Endorphin Pro but it was awesome to hear that Jared Ward was part of the design of these shoes and he wouldn't stop until it was perfect.  We were able to meet some of the athletics afterwards and I decided to get a picture with Jared.  Jared was such a nice and humble guy.  I was excited to see him perform that Saturday.  


Flash forward to Sunday and the challenge ahead of me, which was running a sub 2:30 half.   This was a scary goal as I've been trying for 5 years for this sub 2:30.  Also this was one of the most difficult course because of the hills.  We started the morning by going to the Half Fanatic/Marathon Maniac tent to drop off our gear.  Then it was off to the start corral. 


The start corral very crowded, I tried to move up to the 2:30 pacers but it was hard because of the crowd so I decided I'll take on the challenge by myself but make sure that I keep an eye on them.  Sadly I forgot to print off a 2:30 pace band so I decided to calculate the time in my head.  I knew I had to run a sub 11:30 per mile but also take into consideration if I did not run the tangents that could add distance which would then add time to the clock.  The course was beautiful, it showcased the city well while also keeping us on our toes with the rolling hills.  I think calculating the time helped take my mind off the hills, being tired and how many miles I had left as I had to make sure I had my numbers correct.  I had some doubts of my ability to calculate time while I run so I made sure I had some banked time just in case there were any issues.  Once I got to mile 12 I knew I had a chance.  I didn't want to get too confident as all runners know anything can happen.  Once I saw the turn to the finish line, which was the same finish line as the Olympic trials I knew I had it in the bag.  I crossed the finish line with so much excitement and joy.  I couldn't believe my eyes, a sub 2:30.  Official finish time was 2:29:29.  The picture below was taken right after the race at the finish line.  


I decided to enjoy my finish by grabbing some coffee and wait for my friend to finish.  During that hour of waiting I was able to reflect on my run but also cheer on other runners while they finish.   The people of Atlanta were amazing and the race organizers did a great job in managing the race.  I felt safe from traffic and well sported while I run.  On the way back to our hotel I really wanted a finisher pick with the Olympic rings.  Little did I know that I would get a picture with Aliphine Tullamuk, who won the Olympic trials the day before.  She was so nice, she asked me about my race and how it went.  Just to be right next to her was an honor and can't wait to see her crush the marathon in Japan in 2021. 


I would definitely recommend this run for anyone who wants to check off Atlanta on their journey for all 50 states.  From the swag, to the course, to the people of Atlanta and lastly the medal it was an amazing experience.  I can't wait to the next Olympic Trials so I can cheer on the best of the best.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment