Thursday, July 23, 2020

Journey to Surgery

After an amazing 2018 season I started having pain in my right hip while I was on a trip to California. 

First run that I felt the pain. 

Thinking it was overuse I kept going until the pain got a little worst. I ended up seeing a running doctor when I was back in OKC.  After an eval and x-ray he figured out that I had an impingement that caused a labral tear.  He suggested that I get an MRI to double check, and when the results came back it was confirmed.  Luckily in 2019 I was able to rehab my hip and finish all of my scheduled races without a DNF thanks to my amazing doctor and physical therapist at PT Central. 



2020 didn't start well as the pain came back.  I knew this could happen but was holding out that it would keep me running for longer without any issues.  I took another chance and rehabbed it but it wasn't working.  I would continue to have pain and even had trouble sleeping.  At that point I knew I would have to get it done within the year.  I figured I would get through my planned races and get the surgery done either in the summer or after my fall races of 2020.

Picture from a ten miler, and almost exactly at mile 7 I start to feel my hip.

After my race in Atlanta at the Publix half marathon, where I finally broke 2:30 half (which had taken me 5 years to reach) Covid was becoming more prevalent in the US.  With the disappointment of races being postponed I reached out to another ortho surgeon and got an updated MRI but also a hip injection to 1) to make sure that the injury did not get worst over the last year and 2) if the hip injection works then it isn't the tear that is causing the pain.  The next week I came back and the tear was not worst than the previous MRI and the hip injection didn't work so he recommended surgery.

 With the Olympic Marathon Trial winner Aliphine Tuliamuk

After several talks with friends and my current PT I decided to go to another surgeon at Mercy Orthopedics.  Dr. Brantley reviewed my recent x-ray and recent MRI, then finish the visit with an eval on the hip.  After he was done he said he believes he can help me (once elective surgery resumed).  He didn't pressure me but shared that it looks like I have tried many different options and nothing was working.   With OKC Marathon being postponed I decided if elective surgery started up in a certain time period that gave me the option to run in the fall that I would go for it.

Elective surgery started at the end of April.  I knew that I could potentially get a call soon.  Mid May I got a called and the nurse stated if I was still interested.  I was like yes I am.  We scheduled my surgery for May 22.  Up until that day I ran like I wasn't going to run again.  It was a crazy two months and was able to set a PR in miles per month with 112 in April and also run a couple of virtual half marathon.  I was told it will be a process to be able to regain strength and to run again but decided that surgery was the best option as I didn't want to have pain at all.  The story will continue on the next blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment